Monday, April 20, 2009

Red Velvet cake


This weekend I made a red velvet cake. First time - it was for an order for a co-worker's mom's bday. The cake I thought was thick, I didn't realize how big and fluffy it would become. The hardest part about baking certain cakes, is that being self-taught, I am still trying to figure out how to convert a recipe for a 9" round cake pan to one that is 11x15" rectangular. Some sites have said 3x's the original recipe, but I don't know how accurate that is. I shaved off a bit of the top of the bottom layter to make it shorter and I tasted the "crumbs" (yeah so moist and not a huge chunk resulted in crumbs). For a person who is allergic to chocolate, the crumbs didn't affect me. It was really good and really RED. My finger is still red from the food coloring. ugh!

In any case, the red velvet was a success. I will try to upload some pics of the inside of the cake - provided by my friend.

1 comment:

  1. Muriel this cake was the best! The number one compliment about your cake was that it wasn't "too sweet". Everyone thought I bought this cake from a grocery store, but once they found out this wasn't store bought, but in fact home-made, they definitely devoured their slices, right down to the icing.

    And the icing! What a great combination of flavor. The icing had a cheesecake type of flavor, but I'm not sure what you put in there ;).

    No one cared that it was thick, that just added to the creamy goodness on top of and within the cake, so no complaints there on the thickness of the cake. This amazed me because normally thick cakes lack moisture, but there was nothing lacking in this cake!

    Many thanks and I hope to order something else from you soon :0)

    ReplyDelete